“TheCeļotājs” –
Saldus – a "Drop of Honey" in Courland
   
Striķu Street –
The Oldest Street in Saldus with its many historical structures –
Lat: N56.66526, Lon: E022.49453
 
              
 
    
Saldus oldest street is Striķu iela and once led to Baron Behr’s estate, Striķu Mamor. The locals still recall the earlier names of the street, Lielā iela and Auces Road.
 
 
With the granting of town rights in 1856, the first buildings appeared on Striķu iela. The one story houses built at the turn of the 20th century are still standing as well as the two and three story dwellings closer to the town center. The town foundation stone lain by Baron Behr still lies under one of the buildings. 
 
Striku iela has had great significance in the lives of the locals. It was the location for municipal office, schools, hotels and societies. Taverns, many small shops and other meeting places welcomed locals and travelers. 
 
Struku iela is connected to several local luminaries. At the end of the 19th century, writer and local activist Stepermaņu Krustiņš lived at Strķu iela. He was Saldus first publisher and opened the first bookstore at this location. 
 
 
Home
 
 
Album Striķu Street
 
 
Revised: 07/19/2013 – 00:52:15