“TheCeļotājs” –
Saldus – a "Drop of Honey" in Courland
 
   
Saldus Martin Luther’s Evangelic Lutheran Church – ANNO 1934 –
Skrundas iela 25/27,
Lat: N56.65948, Lon: E022.48955
 
              
 
For a long time, the lower church, or Saldus First Evangelical Lutheran was the only church in a large area. This led to problems as the congregation was large which caused some disagreements and dissatisfaction. It occurred to some to build a new church. The local, more-wealthy land owners and industrialists decided to start building a new church and donated funds, building materials, transportation and labor to the cause. The land upon which the church is located was also donated.
 
 
Building commenced in 1934 in roman style designed by architect P. Dreimanis. This alter painting “Jesus Christ Blesses the Fields” was painted by artist E. Dolmanis. The painting was presented to the church by the Tramdahs family Ciecere parish.
 
The church suffered severe damage during World War II and renovation has required much time and funding.
 
In 1995, the congregation voted to name the church in honor of Martin Luther.
 
 
Home
 
 
 
 
Revised: 07/19/2013 – 01:26:43