“TheCeļotājs” –
Pāvilosta Saka Parish Sights in Courland
 
Pāvilosta Harbor and the Saka River –
Lat: N56.88913, Lon: E021.17283
Pavilosta Saka Parish, Latvia 
 
         
                                                                                                                                  Pāvilosta Harbor                                                            Waters Edge of Saka River 
 
 
 
Pāvilosta’s history began with the building of a harbor at the mouth of the Saka River. 
 
Information about the history of Pāvilosta dates back to the period of Duke Jekabs “1642-1682” when ships could enter the Saka River and Pāvilosta served as Aizputes harbor. This harbor was used to export wood, grain and other products to various other harbors in the Baltic Sea and the North Sea. Trade agreements with Danish merchants were especially prosperous. 
 
After the war between the Swedes and Poles in 1660, the Saka River was dammed per the Swedish occupants to guarantee the growth and development of Riga’s harbors. Boulders were placed on the ice during the winter months. In the spring when the ice melted, the sunken boulders narrowed the path for sea vessels. 
 
In 1855 during the Crimean War, Russian boarder guards built their cordons in Pāvilosta to protect this strategic location. 
 
 
Home – 
 
Vītolu iela – ANNO 1890 – 
 
 
 
Revised: 07/21/2013 – 17:52:29