“TheCeļotājs” –
Kuldīga Town Sights in Courland
   
Saint Catharine’s Evangelical Lutheran Church – ANNO 1252 
Lat: N56.97004, Lon: E021.97294
Baznīcas iela 33,
 
  
 
Saint Catharine’s Evangelical Lutheran Church Baznīcas iela 33 is first mentioned in 1252. It was rebuilt between 1651 and 1655. It got its current appearance in 1866 when a 45 meter high bell tower was built. The alter and pulpit were created in the early Baroque style by the Dutch woodcutter from Ventspils, Nikolass Sefrenss the Elder. The church organ was built in 1882 by the Frankfurt at Odera Company V. Zauer. The southern entrance is known as the court entrance as this was the entrance used by the Duke and his court. Above this is bronze relief 1791 of Kuldīga’s Coat of Arms which included Saint Catharine. The church clocks have been changed at least six times, the last time in 1936 when a clock was delivered along with a 565kg heavy church bell from Switzerland.
 
 
After World War II, during Soviet occupation, the church was used as a grain and chemical warehouse, as well as a horse stall. From 1964 to 1968, a branch of the region’s museum was housed here. A concert hall was opened in the church because of the excellent acoustics and continued to function as a concert hall until 1990.
 
 
    
 
 
Home
 
 
 
 
Revised: 04/24/2013 – 18:50:59