“TheCeļotājs” –
Grobiņa Town Sights in Courland
   
Grobina Castle Ruins – ANNO 1253 –
Lat: N56.5340699, Lon: E021.1657785
Lielā iela 56, Grobiņa, LV-3430
 
  
 
 
 
Grobiņa Castle is a medieval castle located in the town of Grobiņa, Latvia, in western Courland. The ancient Curonian castle hill “Skābāržu kalns” is located only 100 m from the castle. It is supposed to be the famous Seeburg, which is mentioned in Scandinavian sources already in ninth century.
 
History
 
The Livonian Order erected the castle in 1253 to protect the roads from Livonia to Prussia. It was a square type building and was a three story high living block in the southern aisle. It also had a gate tower in the middle of the western wall. The castle was built of bricks and crude stone. Once it had arched ceilings. It was a residence for the local viceroy of the Livonian Order from 1399 to 1590. As support base in south Courland it was many times rebuilt and fortified.
 
 
In the times of the Duchy of Courland, the castle was destroyed and rebuilt many times. In the sixteenth and seventeenth century sand walls were erected around the castle. They had a bastion in each of the four corners and a stockade. Later the castle was used as a residence for local German landlords. The castle was destroyed in the eighteenth century. Many famous people have visited the castle, for example: Duke Jacob Kettler of Courland, The King of Sweden, Carl XII and the King of Prussia, Friedrich Wilhelm III.
 
Castle Ruins Today
 
In the 1970s major conservation jobs were made in the castle, so today the castle ruins are in a quite good condition. Most of the walls are still standing in three story height. Today's castle is a major tourist attraction and also a place for local gatherings and concerts.
 
 
Home
 
 
 
 
Revised: 04/18/2013 – 04:32:16