“TheCeļotājs” –
Aizpute Town Sights in Courland
   
Former Jewish Synagogue – ANNO 1752 with the
1941 Jewish Holocaust Memorial Plaque 
Lat: N56.71939, Lon: E021.60325
Synagogas iela 2,
 
   
 
  
 
The former Synagogue Building was erected in 1952 and reconstructed in 1935 it functioned as a Synagogue until the end of 1941 when the Jewish community of 386 Men, Women and Children were rounded up then taken to a near by forest and murdered by Nazi occupiers and their local accomplices. In 1955 it was transformed into a local cultural center. 
 
Located next to the main entrance door there is a 1941 Jewish Holocaust Memorial Plaque dedicated to the 386 Aizpute Jewish Men, Women and Children who were rounded up and taken to a near by forest and murdered in the summer and autumn of 1941.
 
The inscription on the plaque reads:
 
From their homes and this building, more then 300 Aizpute residents were taken on their last journey in the summer and autumn of 1941. They were murdered only because they were Jews. 
 
 
Home
 
 
Album Former Jewish Synagogue – ANNO 1752 with the
1941 Jewish Holocaust Memorial Plaque –
 
 
Revised: 03/15/2013 – 18:30:43