“TheCeļotājs” –  
Travels around Latvia
 
 
     
Sigulda Castle Ruins –
Lat: N57.16703, Lon: E024.85052 
Pils iela 18, Sigulda, Latvia – 
 
Join “TheCeļotājs” visit to the Sigulda Castle Ruins, located at Pils iela 18, Sigulda, Latvia, was built in 1207 by the Brotherhood of Sward and was rebuilt in 1236 by the Livonian order. The south-western wing of the convention building was built with Gothic windows and a central entrance tower that has been preserved till today.
 
 
Click above picture to view album
 
Located on the left bank of the ancient Gauja River valley, between the Paparžu ravine and the ravine along which the Sigulda-Turaida road passes through the valley there are the ruins of a castle built by the Order of the Brethren of the Sword.  Construction on the castle began in 1207, and three decades later, in 1236, the castle was rebuilt for the needs of the Livonian Order.  The Sigulda Castle suffered much damage during wars in the late 16th and early 17th century.  During the Great Northern War, it was burned down and never restored.  What are left there today are the south-western segment of the castle's convent building, as well as the tower of the main gate.  Beyond that is the internal forecastle, where there is an open-air stage for the annual Sigulda Opera Music Festival and other public events.  There are also impressive views of the ancient Gauja River valley, Krimulda and Turaida. 
 
 
Home – 
 
 
 
Revised: 04-16-2013 – 13:29:15